This course aims to introduce the principles and concepts of design thinking, and to engage participants in interpreting its multiple possibilities to bring forth innovative solutions to existing challenges and real world problems by understanding user needs and creating meaningful user experiences. This involves fostering a mindset change and embracing skills sets to foster new ways of thinking about problems and challenges, and the different ways to deal with them.
- Different thinking approaches as strategies for creativity and innovation by engaging participants in the thinking processes that drive their actions and behaviours. This includes the notion of questioning assumptions, challenging conventions, asking good questions, thinking critically and intuitively, generating ideas, seeking alternative ways of doing things and creating new possibilities to get work done.
- Developing a creative mindset to unleash creative capabilities to drive product, service and process development and innovation at the workplace. This includes the underpinning skills and knowledge required for better awareness of the creative process to enable the origination of creative ideas and concepts, better user understanding and empathy and, to develop holistic problem solving abilities.
- Fostering Design thinking as a tool and methodology through immersion in highly intensive and interactive activities aimed at promoting participants’ knowledge construction and fostering rapid understanding of creative and innovative thinking processes. This includes the core principles of problem identification and reframing, user understanding and empathy, divergent thinking for idea generation, rapid prototyping for idea rationalisation, and integrative thinking for creative problem solving and practical innovation.
The course engages examples, case studies and practical exercises blended with seminars and group discussions to develop an understanding of the key principles and concepts of Design Thinking and its application for creativity and innovation.
The objectives of the course are:
- To provide participants with the frameworks of innovation, creativity and design thinking processes to develop innovation-driven thinking
- To equip participants with a creative mindset to develop different thinking approaches as strategies for creativity and innovation by engaging them in the thinking processes that drive their actions and behaviours
- To facilitate participants in the appropriate use of design thinking skills, tools and techniques to foster creative thinking capabilities for user- centric approach to creative problem solving and practical innovation
At the end of the course, participants should be able to:
- Articulate the principles and concepts of innovation, creativity and design thinking processes
- Engage in a creative mindset to think differently to address and overcome challenges in the innovation process
- Apply the appropriate skills, tools and techniques for practical innovation from its inception to realisation, adoption and implementation/commercialisation
- Embrace design thinking for its interdisciplinary, user-centric and collaborative approach for product, service and process innovation
Who Should Attend
Professionals, leaders, business owners, start-ups, entrepreneurs, freelancers, managers, executives, civil servants and educators from any field, discipline or industry.